Early Literacy Resources
- Reading Rockets features information and tips on how to help a struggling reader.
- Growing Wisconsin Readers is a statewide initiative that aims to support caregivers and help prepare children for learning.
- Reading is Fundamental provides book lists, literacy games and activities, and printable parent guides.
- Zero to Three is specifically for babies and toddlers and provides resources and tools to give this age group a strong start in life.
- Great Websites for Kids (and parents) contains a plethora of website recommendations from the American Library Association. It has everything from Bedtime Math to Great Group Games!
Apps for Kids
Click here for the full list of the apps we have on our iPads for kids. Additionally, take a look at these sources for more app recommendations and reviews:
- Book-Inspired Apps from School Library Journal.
- Best Apps for the Family from Common Sense Media.
- AppFinder from Madison Public Library.
Group Visits and Tours
The Waunakee Public Library is happy to provide tours of the library to school classrooms. Tours can include an overview of the library and its resources, catalog instruction, booktalks, help finding materials, storytimes and other activities suitable to your group’s needs. Groups wishing to schedule a tour should contact Brittany, Youth Services Director, by phone 608-849-4207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 2-4 weeks in advance.
Group Library Card Sign-Up
Groups visiting the library will often want to check out library materials. To simplify this process for the group and library staff alike, we ask that anyone who does not already have a library card and wishes to sign up for one fill out the library card application BEFORE coming to the library. Children’s applications MUST have a parent or guardian signature. We ask that teachers or other group leaders return the completed applications to the library at least one week prior to the scheduled visit. This allows staff sufficient time to process the applications and ensures there can be immediate use of the cards on the day of the visit. Library card applications can be delivered to your school – please contact Brittany at 608-849-4207 or email@example.com.
School Assignment Alert
Help us help your students! Assignment Alert is an easy way to notify library staff about upcoming assignments and projects when students will require the use of library materials. Advance notice about the assignment will assist the library in providing your students with as many library resources as possible, based upon the details you specify. We will work to have the required materials available when they are needed. Please contact Brittany at 608-849-4207 or firstname.lastname@example.org and extra materials on a particular topic or Battle of the Books titles can be gathered for check-out.
Advance Material Collection
This option is geared towards teachers wishing to have the library pull library materials on a certain topic for them in advance, so they are ready to go when you arrive at the library. Email Brittany at least one week in advance at email@example.com and library staff will gather resources from the Waunakee Public Library and the South Central Library System to best meet your request.
Teacher Library Cards
These cards allow teachers and daycare providers to sign up for a library card for borrowing materials for classroom use. The cards do not accrue late fees, although teachers/schools are still responsible for any lost or damaged items. The application form is available here or at the library and requires both the teacher's contact information, as well as the signature of the principal. Contact the library at 849-4217 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for more information.