Forward Theater is thrilled to partner again with the Dane County Public Libraries and Beyond the Page to present a program of monologues celebrating our freedom to read. These monologues explore the topic of banned books and censorship from a variety of viewpoints: from a children's librarian responding to a request for censorship, to a patron requesting a banned book, to a student challenging a book’s validity. Performed by local, professional actors and written exclusively for Forward Theater's OUT OF THE FIRE Banned Books Monologue Festival by playwrights from Madison and beyond.
Monologues that will be presented are as follows:
- The New Technology, by Liz Duffy Adams: At a secret meeting of an underground organization a few decades in the future, a new technology is revealed. Performed by Kelly Maxwell.
- The Power, by Erica Berman: A young girl demands the only book that can help her. Performed by Alice Wenzlow.
- Cuban Poetry, by Coleman: The true story of a writer's attempt to smuggle banned poetry over the border and into the United States. Performed by Bruce Bradley.
- The Shameshifter, by Doug Reed: A man pleads his innocence when caught red-handed with a purloined copy of Lolita. Performed by Donavon Armbruster.
- Laffs with Two Fs, by Kimberly Megna Yarnall: A young teaching assistant defends his reasons for censorship. Performed by Jake Penner.